Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chocolate-Coffee Layer Gateau - Corrected

Today is a public holiday of Wesak, and since my family too having their holidays, I decided to try what I'd failed earlier, Coffee Layer Gateau.
Chocolate-Coffee Layer Gateau - Corrected Version
It doesn't look as interesting as the one before because my mum kept pestering me and said that she want to try some, so I just did it as fast as I can, but it tasted a lot better than the previous one. I was quite happy with my result today, and my mum enjoyed it~

Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe from The Best Of Baking Book by Hamlyn:
4 eggs separated
100g Castor sugar
50g flour
25g cornflour
15g cocoa powder
15g melted butter - optional

Preheat oven 190°C. Grease cake tin or layer with greaseproof baking paper.

1. Using electrical mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until smooth and creamy.

2. With a separated mixing bowl, beat egg whites with electrical mixer on high speed until stiff.

3. Fold in egg yolks. Do not over-mix.

4. Sift in flour, cornflour and cocoa powder into mixture, then fold it again until it's well mix. Remember not to over-mix. (I mixed flour, cornflour and cocoa powder in a bowl first, so that it will be sifted evenly)

5. Pour batter into 8 inch round cake tin.Bake for 35-40 minutes.

6. Leave to cool in oven for few minutes to prevent cake from sinking. Then remove cake from tin, cool it on a wiring rack.

7. Cut into 3 layers.

Chocolate Sponge Cake base facing on top for easy icing

Filling and Topping from The Best Of Baking Book by Hamlyn:
250g butter
25g cornflour
300ml milk
150g sugar (I used half of it)
1 tbsp instant coffee

1. Mix 4 tablespoons of milk with cornflour, then pour the rest of the milk into a saucepan and boil.

2. Stir in sugar and coffee until sugar dissolve, then stir in cornflour with milk into the mixture. Stir the mixture until smooth and thick. Remove from heat and let it cool completely, stirring often.

3. Beat butter until soft and fluffy, then mix coffee mixture. Mix well.

4. Spread creams in between every layers of the cake, then cover the cake with the rest of the cream with an icing spatula and decorate the cake with pipings.

Sponge Cake and Butter Cream

I cut down the ingredients of my butter cream into halves as I wanna enjoy the cake, not the cream.

For the toppings, I had some left over and didn't want to waste it,
so I used it for decorating instead of using butter cream

Here you can see the layers of butter cream in between the sponge cake

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...