Thursday, May 26, 2011

Birthday Cheesecake

Rekha's birthday is on this coming Sunday, but I won't be seeing her until 6th of June as we're having our holidays for one week.

Earlier on, she had requested for a cheesecake, the first time when I bake for my colleagues, she was not around, so I decided to make another one for her birthday.

Cheesecake covered with chocolate butter cream

So far I had already baked the cheesecake for a few times, my family really enjoyed, including my relatives in Selangor. This cheesecake was known as Japanese Cheesecake.
After work on that day, I rested for a while, then started with the ingredients. My mum wanted to help me with the cake too, but she had to go for her nursing student's farewell party that night.

Just after my mum left for the party, my dad came back. Noticing that I was mixing and battering the ingredients, he asked me in mandarin "What are you baking this time?", I answered "Cheesecake. It's for my friend for her birthday." By hearing this, he was kinda disappointed and asked "Do you mean that we can't even have a bite of it?", I looked at him and said, "I'm sorry about that, I'll bake all of you something this weekend, okay? =D"

So far, both of my parents really enjoyed what I baked, and sometimes they help me with it too, especially my mum who also learnt baking when she was younger, so she really helped me a lot. By knowing that I love baking, she even buys me some new utensils for baking and decorating too~

After baking, I prepared icing for the cake, at the same time, my mum came home. She taught me how to play with the piping for decorating, and it was kinda fun~

Cheesecake Recipe:
250g cream cheese (I used Philadelphia)
50g butter
60g cornflour
150g of caster sugar (I used 100g)
100ml milk
6 egg - seperated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

1. Preheat oven 170°C. Grease 8 inches cake tin.


2. With an electrical mixer, beat cream cheese (cut into cubes), butter and milk until smooth and creamy. Then add in egg yolks, sifted flour and half of the sugar. Mix well.


3. Take another mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with electrical mixer on a high speed until fluffy, then add in the rest of the sugar. Continue beating until soft peak forms.

4. Fold in cream mixture into egg whites mixture. Do not overmix.

5. Bake cheesecake in a water bath for 40 minutes at 170°C (use a bigger baking pan, place cake tin in the middle of the pan, then fill half of the pan with hot water).

6. Leave cheesecake in oven to cool for 1 hour. Cake will sink if there's a sudden change of temperature.

Left: Egg whites in soft peaks
Right: Cheese Mixture

Cheesecake and Chocolate butter cream




 This is Rekha, one of my Indian colleague. So happy to see her overjoyed with the surprise I gave her.

I know the icing looked kinda messy,
but what do you expect when you have to leave the cake in
room temperature for 4 hours when there's no fridge in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...